support troops on shore by maintaining a ship to shore cargo service with a secondary role of shore to ship transportation.
The supply detachment consisted of a supply depot, which included a butchery and cold storage component, and a field bakery section. The P.O.L. detachment controlled a 1,500-ton packed depot in the early days, rising to a peak with the operation of a 4,000-ton
bulk petroleum installation, holding aviation and diesel fuels. The function of the supply depot was to hold and distribute to units and messes stocks of fresh and dry rations received from the Naval Supply Ships and incoming freight aircraft from Honolulu.
The D.U.K.W.'s provided for the amphibious platoon were far from new which resulted in a considerable maintenance and repair problem, but in spite of this an outstanding serviceability rate and movement tonnage were achieved. The highest tonnage moved on one day by the platoon was 83 tons-an impressive total when considered in relation to the fact that the round trip from shore to anchorage is four miles and the average turn-round time is I hour 15 minutes. All in all the work of the D.U.K.W. detachment has been throughout of inestimable value to the operation as a whole. .
By November, 1956, the supply depot was holding 15 weeks' supply of dry rations and up to six weeks' of some fresh items. Over 230,000 rations were held and 177 varieties of food were accounted for and issued by one clerk and one storekeeper.
The field bakery section by November, 1956, had baked over 20,270 three and a half pound loaves, working seven nights a week. Since this date an ever increasing quantity of bread has been baked, never falling
below 1,665 lb. per night. The basis of their equipment was a pair of double-deck, oil-fired oven trailers: the remaining stages of bread-making were done by manual methods.
The P.O.L. depot held 29 petroleum products and by November, 1956, had issued over a quarter of a million gallons, but this figure increased rapidly once the bulk installation was in operation and aviation fuels began to be issued for use by aircraft based on Christmas Island.
Also formed was a SPECIAL R.A.O.C. UNIT of a total strength of one officer and 33 men. It was divided into a
stores element and a laundry element. .
The task of the stores element has been to maintain the Army units in the Grapple Area with spare parts, workshop materials and general equipment of ordnance origin and to operate a returned stores group and returned vehicle parts. An additional and unusual task has been the operation of a control F.A.M.T.O. whereby all Army
M.T. first-aid stocks have been centralized on the ordnance unit to economize in men and material. Altogether over 19,000 types of items are held.
The laundry element was of rather unusual composition being half a mobile laundry plus a C.C.S. Laundry trailer. It was designed to cater for 188 officers, 250 warrant officers and sergeants and 1,759 rank and file -representing the biggest all
services population on the island at anyone time. Its equipment has laundered throughout the main items of clothing and bed sheets, and for this two pressing machines were specially adapted