service during the First World War. However, during the Second World War it operated as a bomber Squadron attacking industrial targets in Germany and Italy. In August, 1945, the Squadron transferred to Transport Command and moved to the Far East, rejoining Bomber Command in 1953. .
No.100 Squadron has had a most interesting history forming as a night bomber Squadron (Independent Force) of the Royal Flying Corps and serving on the Western Front in 1917-18. It disbanded on cessation of hostilities, re-forming in 1920. From 1931 to 1941 it was stationed in Singapore and for the last three years of that period carried out the role of Torpedo Bombers. Again it was disbanded, re-forming in the United Kingdom in 1942 on Lancasters with minelaying duties. During 1943 it was employed on the "1,000 bomber" raids and stayed for the rest of the war as a heavy bomber Squadron in Bomber Command.
Coastal Command selected a further three Squadrons. No. 206 Squadron, now equipped with Shackletons, originally bore the number plate of No. 6 Royal Naval Air Service Squadron. The Squadron served on anti-submarine duties off France during 1918 disbanding at the end of the war. It was re-formed in 1936 in Coastal Command in the long-range general reconnaissance role, and continued in this role throughout the Second World War until transferring to Transport Command in 1945. It was not until 1952 that the Squadron was re-formed in its present command as a Maritime Reconnaissance Squadron.
No. 240, the second Coastal Command Squadron, has been associated with Coastal Command roles throughout its history. In 1918 it was a Royal Naval Air Service Squadron on anti-submarine patrols. In 1937 it carried out General Reconnaissance duties until transferred to India for convoy patrols in the Bay of Bengal in 1942. The Squadron remained in
A.C.S.E.A. until it disbanded in 1946. It was re-formed in 1952 in Coastal Command as a Maritime Reconnaissance Squadron.
The third Squadron to be selected by Coastal Command was No. 22, who are equipped with Whirlwind helicopters and are providing a flight of three aircraft on the island for communications, air rescue and insecticide spraying. The Squadron, before being equipped with helicopters, has changed its role many times, starting life on the Western Front as a Fighter Reconnaissance Squadron, disbanding and re-forming in 1923 for performance-testing duties. In 1934 it was flying torpedo bombers. In 1942 the Squadron moved to Eastern Waters including Ceylon, Burma, and India, and in 1944 it was re-equipped with RIP Beaufighters for intruder operations. In 1946 it undertook the Night Fighter role in A.C.S.E.A The Squadron disbanded in the Far East and in 1955 re-formed in its present Command and role. A varied history indeed.
Transport Command is providing services between Christmas Island and Honolulu and Edinburgh Field, South Australia, and although unable to detach anyone Squadron, is providing aircraft and crews as necessary from all Squadrons under their Command. It is not possible to give details of all Squadrons and it would be unfair to select anyone particular unit. The Command is also providing a flight of Dakotas for transport duties between Christmas and
Malden Islands and for this